Image Map

December 7, 2012

You Can't Catch Me!

Whew, what a week! Only one more left to go and it's the most wonderful time of the year...PTL! And for those of you who have 2 weeks left...I will be praying for your patience!

The kiddos and I had loads of gingerbread fun ALL week long. We read a different gingerbread book each day (check out my last post to see what gingy books we read up on this week), explored their story elements, and ended the week with a fun filled day of those tasty little things.

I L.O.V.E making this chart more than any other. Turns out so dang cute!
 
We read the original Gingerbread Man first and completed this reader's response. Here is the outside of the house and on the inside we completed a story map: character, setting, beginning/middle/end.



 
One of our skills this 6 weeks is making predictions, so while reading the story, I stopped in the middle and had them predict what would happen at the end with this sheet from my gingerbread litearcy packet.
 

We used this story elements map after reading The Gingerbread Baby. It's also from my gingerbread literacy packet.
 

 
After reading Gingerbread Friends, we used this venn diagram comparison to compare Gingerbread Baby and Gingerbread Friends. These 2 books worked great for the comparison (same author writes both books and uses some of the same characters). It's from my gingerbread literacy packet as well.
 
 
Today was the funnest day of all. We The kids created and decorated their own gingerbread person and wrote a story about them. I tried to have them be as creative as possible...I figured after reading The Jalepeno Man their creative juices would be flowing but as guess they were as brain dead as me!
Still cute though.
 
 
 
We talked about matter this week and I sssttttrrrreeeccchhheeeddd that to fit into our gingerbread unit by using Abby's gingerbread science experiment. Total hit! {Best of all...it's free}
 
 
 
My sweet sweet grandma made 2 and 1/2 dozen gingerbread cookies...rolling the dough, cookie cutter, and all....so my firsties could do their science experiment and then (drumroll please) decorate AND eat them!!! Grandma of the year award??
 
Story time: When I picked them up from here her words were, "I'm never making these cookies again!  I followed the directions, never do that, and they turned out too thin and all their heads, arms, and legs were falling off. I could just see your kids crying about the missing parts."  HA! Oh how I love her : )  So she went to the store bought more dough and re-made them. DEF grandma of the year! We so made her a thank-you card!
 
 

 I have to admit...I did eat one...ok two cookies. Yes, I even decorated one! Gingerbread yumminess! Sending gingerbread love your way.


1 comment:

  1. Oh WOW! I am so excited to see you and the kiddos had an amazing Gingerbread week!
    Your HOUSE graphic organizer is awesome!
    Thanks for sharing your SWEET ideas!
    Julie
    Ms. Marciniak's First Grade Critter Cafe

    ReplyDelete