Image Map

February 19, 2013

Hall Pass Linky!

I'm linking up with one of my favorite Texas teachers for a linky party to share ideas on great products, favorite classroom areas, signals, and strategies for keeping our sanity! In 1st grade, this time of year is great! The kiddos know what they should be doing, and most need little guidance when doing classroom activities....how nice would it be to have a "hall pass" during this time to get a little relaxation in....and then there are those who will always need your attention, so back to reality!


 
Product- My favorite product I have made is my 'How-to Writing Prompts and Templates'.  So here is the low-down...I {use} to hate teaching writing, that is until I found my own groove and through a few ideas together and viola! Now, I don't struggle teaching writing or just pass it up because I didn't have time (horrible, I know).
 
Teaching writing step-by-step works best for me and this is exactly how this product is laid out. Plus, it has 11 different writing templates to choose from! Catch up on my posts about my recent successes in writing below:
 
Area-This year especially, I have grown to love meeting with my small reading groups.  My kids love the attention they get, we laugh while we learn, and it's a great way to get to know your sweeties better! I have my reading table in the back corner of my room so I am able to still keep an eye on all the others while they are at centers during this time.

Take a tour of my room {here}!
 
Signal-I would LOVE to have some new signals to get kids attention at important times. The ones I use are ok...but recently I have noticed they aren't working like they use to. I have a bell on my desk I ring if I have something important to share. The students are supposed to freeze, look at me, and listen. They can't move again until I say "Thank you for freezing." It just doesn't have the same effect this time of year. Sitting here, I came up with this...teacher says "Can I get a...." students reply "ooooo ooooo"  (better known as the annoying squeaking sound). Thoughts? Maybe I will try it and let ya know how it goes!
 
Sanity-  Need I say more? I LOVE me some chocolate. I have a bag of Hershey's kisses on my desk and my candy jar (supposed to be for the kids) always finds itself dwindling down as time goes by. My kids are always asking 'Why do you always get to eat candy?' Guess I should take the hint...

 
Can't wait to read up on and get some new ideas! Click on the hall pass above to find Reagan's original post! Happy linky!
 

 

13 comments:

  1. Chocolate cures most everything doesn't it! WHAT are those animal print things hanging from your ceiling?? I NEED those for my classroom!! You have a very neat, organized reading group area! I wish I had the space for that....we sit on the floor!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too cute! Thanks for linking up! Chocolate and writing are two of my FAVORITES! Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We seem to have a lot in common! Especially the part about the candy! Yum!
    ΡΌ Lori
    Teaching With Love and Laughter
    luvyorkies@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to check out your writing packs. I always feel I am very weak at teaching writing and I sooo want to be better.

    Kelly @ I'm Not Your Grandpa, I'm Your Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your cute small group area.. I love how well everything coordinates! My small group area is in need of some love.. it's not located in a very good area in my room and tends to get junky! I am also a lover of chocolate on a hard day!

    Ashley
    That's So Second Grade
    www.secondgradeparadise.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love my desk area too! :) I like how I can teach small groups when I need to, but also unwind for a few minutes at the end of the day

    Sarah
    teachingiscolorful.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! My students always catch me eating sweets! :)
    ❤Teri
    A Cupcake for the Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lindsay! I found you through Reagan's Linky! Your blog is adorable! Happy to be your newest follower!

    Halle
    Across the Hall in 2nd Grade

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chocolate is a MUST! I am always shocked when I have students who don't like it!
    I have always wanted one of those kidney shaped tables, but they are so hard to come by unless you want to purchase one for yourself.
    :)
    Tamera
    MyHeartBelongsinFirst
    Kaizactan2001@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gotta have the chocolate. I am your newest follower, coming over from Tonya's.

    Terri
    The First Grade Princess

    ReplyDelete
  11. I found your blog through Tonya's fabulous giveaway! I am your newest follower :)

    Rae
    Mindful Rambles

    ReplyDelete