Image Map

March 5, 2015

Do Your Kids Struggle with the "And Disease"?

The And Disease.

Sitting down during writing conferences I have noticed and influx of "and" being used in my students writing AND it is driving me crazy AND I finally decided to address it AND it went like this.
I came up with a simple story to show the class during a writing mini-lesson. 
I read it putting major emphasis on the word AND.

When I read it they {laughed and laughed and laughed}! 
They thought I was crazy for using the word AND so many times
Their response "That's a lot of and's Mrs. Griffith".

They were surprised when I told them that --they-- were actually the ones who were consumed by this disease!

We came up with a solution: When we reread our stories and find that we have the "and disease", we will erase the word and add a period in its place.

 I had them go back and edit their papers for the "and disease", capitalization and punctuation. 
Problem solved, hopefully!

No comments:

Post a Comment