Image Map

March 10, 2016

Get the Crazies OUT With Snack and Chat

So, it's the week before Spring Break.
It's rained every stinking day.
We haven't been out to recess since Monday.
Did I mention it's the week before Spring Break AND it's rained ALL week!?!?!?!?

I'm sure you've read my mind that it's been noisy, crazy, and nerve-wrenching!
SO this teacher had to liven and louden reading time up just to control the firsties the past few days.

My partner teacher passed along something called "Snack and Chat" and I knew THIS was the week to bring it out of my file! I posted this picture on IG and y'all loved it. 



So I figured I better explain the deets : )

It went a little something like this:
"No center rotations today friends. Instead we are going to do a little bit of reading, a little bit of snacking and a whole lot of talking!"  <-------this brought on some confused faces from my friends.
I'm sure they were thinking...."Mrs. Griffith, are you okay? Did you just sat that?"

I had them grab a partner, their snack and book box and find somewhere to read around the room.
One partner would read while the other would snack.
Then they would switch.








At the end of each story they had to discuss things from the story using these questions as a starting point. They are from A Year of Many Firsts and you can find them {here}. 


This lasted a good 15 minutes and they got to talk the WHOLE entire time! Winning!!!

What are some other ideas you implement when week's are totally out of the norm? I'd love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment