Image Map

January 6, 2013

A Day with MLK {mini-unit}!

It seems like January starts the beginning of the never.ending holiday celebrations. First, there is Martin Luther King Jr. day, followed by Groundhog's day, the 100th day of school, and Valentine's Day. {Holy holidays!}  Uhhh, can anyone say PTL for Spring Break!

Since there are SO many things SO close together to touch on, I figured a day or 2 for each would just have to do. Therefore, I made a MLK mini-unit to kick things off!


This mini-unit is the perfect way to teach MLK in a day (or two)! All you need is a non-fiction book to accompany the pages in this unit and you are set!

Here is what the unit includes:


*Who Was MLK? {describing graphic organizer}
*MLK was/had/wanted facts organizer
*MLK 3 facts and a fib {students produce & record 3 facts and a fib)
*Comparing MLK and Me! {Venn diagram}
*MLK: Fact or Not so Much {cut and paste fact activity}
*I Have a Dream, Too! {creative writing prompt}
*I Have a Dream {writing paper}
*MLK ABC order

It's now available in my TpT shop (and since it's small, it comes at a small price)!

 
I also saw this amazing idea on Cara's blog to show kiddos the difference between races, good ol' equality as MLK would call it. You need 2 eggs (1 white and 1 brown). Talk about how the eggs are different, the only big difference being color. Then, break the two eggs (removing the shell from sight) and ask the kids if they know which egg came from which shell.
 
 
Hopefully this is what they get from it “So…the eggs are like people. Dr. King knew that everybody was really alike and the only thing that was different was the color of our skin, so that’s why he thought that things were unfair.”  TOTALLY GENIUS, right!?!?  Such a great way to show the concept for those visual learners!

 
 

 

5 comments:

  1. Your pack looks great! I am definitely doing the egg activity with my kiddos this year!
    ❤Teri
    A Cupcake for the Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely want to do the egg activity this year with my kids! I just need to remember to get those eggs now! I totally forgot about the 100th day celebrate until you just mention it! Eeek another thing I need to get together!
    Rambling About Reading

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pack looks great and thanks for reminding me about Cara's egg activity! Perfect timing!! Thank you!!!
    Smiles - Lisa
    Growing Firsties

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darling blog! I too, love God, my hubby, our 3 fantastic children, my little 2nd graders, and of course treats!


    Amy Howbert
    Little Miss Organized
    amyhowbert1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing lesson with eggs! I will be buying some eggs at the store and doing this lesson! Thanks for sharing.

    The Frizz in First Grade

    ReplyDelete