Books, books, and more books.
I didn't think I had that many books in my classroom library. I mean I've only been teaching for 3 years.
Well, that was until I took on the task of leveling each and every last book that consumed 18 book bins.
Here's my journey:
When I started off I was excited!
Last year I decided I had it with students picking books they couldn't read...and pretending to read them.
Fake reading. I knew the perfect solution would be leveling my class library by DRA level.
So I emptied my library (picture above) and hauled the books home basket at a time.
Note: this took several trips! Eek!
My first challenge was finding a database to search for each title.
I turned to IG and found some great ideas, some from you!
I ended up using 2 main sources.
Scholastic Book Wizard (app and website)
Level It (app)
The scanning adventure began.
successfully unsuccessfully found almost every book.
And this is when I began to get frustrated and tired.
I may have started guessing since not every book was in either database.
Yes, I did "guesstimate" levels for maybe one-fourth of my class library.
I also started to make categories for similar books that were either too hard or did not show up.
Once all sorted out into levels or categories, each got a corresponding sticker on the front cover.
This is how the students will tell where to return the book when they are book shopping.
To finish off this massive overhaul, I relabeled each book bin with the DRA levels...
... put the books inside...
...and BOOM, done!
It may have taken all summer but I am one excited teacher again!