Image Map

January 27, 2014

Phonics: Teaching the 3 Sound of "ED"

I may be a nerd, but phonics is by far one of my favorite things to teach my firsties.
The program our school uses teaches students the "why".
We normally start out a sound study by learning the rule or pattern.
We use that rule/pattern to spell words for a few days then we move on to hands-on phonics.
 
My kids LOVE to look through book to find words that follow the rule we are learning.
So that's exactly what we did last week.
Using their book boxes, they had to search for a word that ended in 'ed' but the catch was that it had to make the sound for which we were talking about that day.

Once they found a word, they had to bring it to me and I provided them with a small index card to record their word on.

 
We met together each day to share our words.
We added them to the chart and by the end of the week we had 3 lists of words for each sound that 'ed' makes.
Such a perfect tool for them to refer back to.
 
Pick up these posters made by What the Teacher Wants
 
Here are some book suggestions to use when searching for 'ed' words.
 

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post about the 3 sounds of ed. I like your idea of finding words with just one of the sounds each day. I'm definitely going to have to do that with my firsties to help them remember the 3 different sounds rather than always sounding it out phonetically (short e sound and d)

    Stacey
    Monkeying Around in First

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the three sounds of -ed resource. I used it this month!
    MemoriesMadeinFirst

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I purchased your Behavior to Hoot About resource this summer. I love the clip chart and when the kids reach purple I hot glue a little jewel to their clip. If they can fill their clip with jewels they get to retire the clip to our Behavior to Hoot About Hall of Fame board. Thanks again!
    MemoriesMadeinFirst

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the shout out!!!!!! Loved your book suggestions as well!

    ReplyDelete