Image Map

February 10, 2014

Introducing "Sparkly E" and a Freebie

After hammering home short vowels for the first 94 days of school we are finally introducing......
SILENT 'E'!
 
In our classroom he is better known as "Sparkly 'E'".
He was such a hit last year that I knew he would make another appearance on my plans this year.
 
We started off by spelling some CVC words.
We added sparkly e to the end of each word to watch (and hear) the magic happen!
 
 

 After discovering that 'sparkly e' changes the vowel sound from short to long, we learned a poem.
 
I found this last year on Jodi's blog Fun in First Grade I absolutely loved it.
Check out even more ideas over on here blog HERE.
 
I also made each student their own sparkly e to have to practice turning short vowels into long ones.

 
We used them during our "making words" portion of the lesson.
I had the students write down the CVC word, add their sparkly e, and then mark their word.
(Marking their word has to do with our phonics program).
 

This freebie I created goes along great with the above activity.
Get it by clicking on the picture below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-xxYuAvgphZUkdYeGx2VTgtZlE/edit?usp=sharing

I also love to incorporate these practice pages from Abby's TpT store.
 
Long A Word Work Activities
 
Each packet has the same types of sheets so the students become familiar with how to do them pretty quick!
 
After the first day, they had a pretty good grasp on the idea.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment