Image Map

February 18, 2014

Left Foot, Left Foot, Right Foot, Right {Teaching Antonyms}

I'm so excited to share with you one of my all-time favorite lessons to teach!
Sadly, I didn't come up with it myself but discovered it from Cara of The First Grade Parade several years ago. Ever since debuting it in my classroom, I fell in love.
 
If I loved the idea and activity that much it was sure to be a hit!
 
If you don't have this book...get it!
Funny and educational all in one. This Dr. Seuss book is FANTASTIC for teaching antonyms!
After reading through one time for laughs, we recorded the pairs of opposites the second time through on our antonym chart.
 
 
As a reader's response, we choose a pair of antonyms off the chart or from our brains and made a little book of antonyms. Pick up the copy by clicking on the picture below to take you to Cara's original post.
 
antonyms14
 
The next day...
Boy, oh boy we get to take off our shoes!
We prepped our antonym feet by tracing our own feet and cutting them out.
 
They each had to choose a pair of antonyms. They could be off of our chart from the book or one they thought up on their own. This by far was my favorite!
Must have been an "ah-ha" moment!

We each took a turn gluing our feet onto our big foot chart.
 
We decided to display our fancy antonym feet in the hallway for all to see!

 Throughout the week we also played a few fun puzzle games like the one below.
 

Next up, synonyms!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment